Welcome to the NewMoonMovie.org Twilight Re-read!
In order to help pass the time while we wait for Breaking Dawn to be released, we are re-reading the first installment of The Twilight Saga:Twilight!!
On Tuesdays & Fridays I’ll post a thread for each chapter in the book.
To get started, dig out your old copy of Twilight, read the chapter together with us, and discuss anything you find of interest that you might have missed the first or thirtieth time around.
Chapter 9: Theory
“I was distracted all weekend, worrying about you…and that possibility tormented me the entire time I was away. It was a very long three days. I really got on Emmett’s nerves.”
After quite the meal, Edward and Bella head to the Volvo while Bella’s head is swirling with questions.
- Pg. 180-181 Bella presses on with her questions. Edward explains that he followed Bella’s scent which was how he was able to locate her, which in my opinion is super creepy, lol. Edward admits that he can read minds by hearing people’s thoughts. He then confesses that he cannot however, hear Bella’s thoughts. “Why do you think you can’t hear me? I asked curiously. He looked at me, his eyes enigmatic. “I don’t know. The only guess I have is that maybe your mind doesn’t work the same way the rest of theirs do. Like your thoughts are on the same AM frequency and I’m only getting FM.” He grinned at me, suddenly amused. “My mind doesn’t work right? I’m a freak?” The words bothered me more than they should-probably because his speculation hit home. I’d always suspected as much, and it embarrassed me to have it confirmed. “I hear voices in my mind and you’re worried that you’re the freak,” he laughed.
- Pg. 182-184 Bella continues her questions as Edward makes several failed attempts to not answer her, but he has never been able to keep a secret from Bella it seems. Bella then confesses that she didn’t exactly come up with her the theories on her own. Bella kind of throws Jacob Black under the bus by telling Edward the Quileute story that Jacob told her. Realizing that she is making Jake look like a snitch, she then recoils and says that she flirted her way into getting the story. Sidebar-didn’t Jake violate the treaty by telling Bella in the first place? Even though he didn’t believe the Quileute legends isn’t the treaty still violated? Edward realizes that he is caught and also that Bella is quite the smart human, nothing like some of her Forks High classmates.
- Pg. 185-186 The secret is exposed!!! Finally! “How old are you?” “Seventeen,” he answered promptly. “And how long have you been seventeen?” “A while.” “Okay. Don’t laugh-but how can you come out during the daytime?” He laughed anyway. “Myth.” “Burned by the sun?” “Myth.” “Sleeping in coffins?” “Myth. I can’t sleep.” “At all?” “Never.” He turned to look at me, with a wistful expression. The golden eyes held mine, and I lost my train of thought. I stared at him until he looked away. “You haven’t asked me the most important question yet.” “Which one is that?” “You aren’t concerned about my diet?” “Oh, that.” “Yes, that. Don’t you want to know if I drink blood?” “Well, Jacob said something about that.” “What did Jacob say?” “He said you didn’t…hunt people. He said your family wasn’t supposed to be dangerous because you only hunted animals.” “He said we weren’t dangerous?” “Not exactly. He said you weren’t supposed to be dangerous. But the Quileutes still didn’t want you on their land, just in case. So was he right? About not hunting people?”
- Pg. 187-188 Edward tries his last ditch effort to warn Bella about his kind. Edward tells Bella that his kind is dangerous and should not be taken lightly. He continues to say that even though he and his family do only hunt animals, sometimes it can be hard to restrain and to ignore the call of the blood. For instance them being in the car alone is highly dangerous. Again, another warning but Bella doesn’t really care. Edward explains that he does not want to be a monster and tries extremely hard to be good and we now see this about him. “Its’ very difficult for you now?” I asked. “Yes.” “But you’re not hungry now,” I said confidently-stating, not asking. “Why do you think that?” “You’re eyes. I told you I had a theory. I’ve noticed that people-men in particular-are crabbier when they’re hungry.” He chuckled. “You are observant, aren’t you?” “Were you hunting this weekend, with Emmett?” “Yes. I didn’t want to leave, but it was necessary. It’s a bit easier to be around you when I’m not thirsty.” “Why didn’t you want to leave?” “It makes me…anxious…to be away from you.”
- Pg. 190-191 Things get very deep for our twosome, and their feelings become very clear. “I didn’t like it. Not seeing you. It makes me anxious too.” I blushed to be saying this out loud. “Ah,” he groaned quietly. “This is wrong.” “What did I say?” Don’t you see, Bella? It’s one thing for me to make myself miserable, but a wholly other thing for you to be so involved. I don’t want to hear that you feel that way.” His words cut me. “It’s wrong. It’s not safe. I’m dangerous, Bella-please, grasp that.” “No.” “I’m serious,” he growled. “So am I. I told you, it doesn’t matter what you are. It’s too late.” “Never say that. What are you thinking?” he asked, his voice still raw. “Are you crying?” “No,” I said, but my voice cracked. I saw him reach toward me hesitantly with his right hand, but then he stopped and placed it slowly back on the steering wheel.Aww Edward! “I’m sorry.”
- Pg. 192-195 This chapter ends with Edward and Bella finding a happy medium and putting their ever so eventful evening behind them enough to talk about school. Edward promises Bella that he will be in school tomorrow. He also invites her to sit at his table, that’s HUGE! Bella is reluctant to get out of the Volvo but chief Swan is home and Bella is supposed to be out with Jessica. Edward offers for Bella to keep his jacket but then Charlie would have a million questions. Soon as Bella gets inside Jessica is ringing the phone off the hook which in my opinion wasn’t a smart move since they were supposed to have just been together. Bella heads upstairs to get a hot shower and heads straight to bed, but not before she has the epiphany of all epiphanies. “About three things I was absolutely positive. First, Edward was a vampire. Second, there was a part of him-and I didn’t know how potent that part might be-that thirsted for my blood. And third, I was unconditionally and irrevocably in love with him.”
Okay, are you dropping dead? Cus I am. These two are too cute! Edward is soo in love and he now knows Bella is too. The first time I read this, all I kept thinking was…how is this going to work? What if he bites her? What will the family think? Lol. What was running through your mind the very first time you read this chapter?